Friday, September 12, 2008

about me =)

It occurred to me that since I missed the first class session and had to run out right at the end of last week's class (to get to another), I haven't really met anyone in this class yet. And to top it off, comcast had my internet off all week for no good reason! So, here's a little bit more about me, in case anyone is looking for a potential group member...

I grew up in Louisville, KY and then attended college at Emory University in Atlanta, GA. I have a BA in Linguistics and Psychology with a minor in Russian (although I've pretty much lost all ability to speak it, oops). I'm hoping to get a second masters in the not-too-distant future, most likely in cognitive science. I'd like to work in an academic library and focus on services for science/math.

After finishing my BA I worked at an educational non-profit organization teaching kids from 3rd-8th grade, and when I couldn't make rent on that "salary" anymore (ha) I took a job working for an advertising consultant doing generic office grunt work. I also did a good amount of publication and presentation design. I was graphics editor and then editor-in-chief of my college's humor magazine, so I have lots of experience with that sort of thing.

I never really thought of myself as especially tech-savvy, but recently I've decided that maybe I'm selling myself a bit short. I don't have any formal training in anything, but I can generally figure out most things that are put in front of me. As I mentioned, I have lots of design experience and can certainly contribute that.

I've thrown a couple of ideas for the project around in my head, but I'm basically open to anything. At the moment I'm still confused about copyright issues for the materials we use, so I'm not trying to get too attached to any one idea.

I am a talker. In case you didn't notice, ha. I can go on at length on pretty much any topic. But some things that I am most interested in are music (especially independent rock, hip-hop, and electronic stuff), crafts, magazines, pets (especially cats), kitschy robot stuff, and language.

I'll be out of town this weekend (back for class Monday), but feel free to email me if you'd be interested in working together.

No comments: